Packet - I am Online!

A place for members of TWA to rag chew
W3OFD

Packet - I am Online!

Post by W3OFD » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Finally got packet going on HF and VHF today (2/8/2020). On 2M I am using a Kenwood TM-261 FM radio. On HF using my Kenwood TS-590SG. I am not using A TNC but a software TNC using two apps....Soundmodem and Terminal both by UZ7HO. It uses the sound card in my TS-590. On 2M I had to use an interface ... The MFJ 1204. On 2M I connected to KB3YMY up in Scotrun. Could not connect to KA3TKW in Harrisburg. Need a little more power or gain antenna to make the 50 mile trip. Will try to connect other stations that may be in area. On HF made a connect with a VE3 a few days ago.gave up on using my old KAM Plus. Could not a software package to initialize and use the TNC. Will keep you all up to date as I pursue this journey.

W3OFD

Re: Packet - I am Online!

Post by W3OFD » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:13 pm

Update: yesterday (9 Feb) while playing with my TM-261 FM radio with packet, the radio went dead.
Checked it all out (fuse, power supply, etc.) and still not working. So for the time being I am off 2M packet.
I have had this radio for a long time and had put it into storage. I had used mainly in the mobile.
So until I geter fixed or get an other radio I am off 2M packet.
Still have my FTM-100DR's (base and mobile) .... maybe try one of them.

Anyway will keep you all updated as i travel this journey....

Rich W3OFD

W3OFD

Post by W3OFD » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:13 pm

Update: yesterday (9 Feb) while playing with my TM-261 FM radio with packet, the radio went dead.
Checked it all out (fuse, power supply, etc.) and still not working. So for the time being I am off 2M packet.
I have had this radio for a long time and had put it into storage. I had used mainly in the mobile.
So until I geter fixed or get an other radio I am off 2M packet.
Still have my FTM-100DR's (base and mobile) .... maybe try one of them.

Anyway will keep you all updated as i travel this journey....

Rich W3OFD

k3kap

Post by k3kap » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:08 am

That's great to hear! I've got things fairly sorted for my station. Using a Kenwood TM-710G for the TNC and Outpost for the Software. I have the same "antenna" problem. I was able to connect, but couldn't do anything. I may need to get a gain antenna. K3TE is monitoring the frequencies from his location to see if he can hear anything. I have been told that work is being done to get a digipeater set up on the Burma Rd.
Karen K3KAP

W3OFD

Post by W3OFD » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Update:
Last night rummaging thru some Ham storage boxes I found to my dismay a Yaesu FT-2400 radio.
It is an oldy. I powered it up and it works. However, the Lithium battery inside is dead.
That means the radio cannot retain memory. When I power up from a dead start the frequency goes to 140.000.
And stays there because no memory. However I just dial in 145.01 and I'm in business. Can change to 1455.03 easily.
However when i shutdown radio and repower up, I'm back to 140.000.

Re-jumpered my Signalink to interface the FT-2400 this morning and all works.
So I am back on 2M packet.
Connected to KB3YMY BBS on 145.01 and was able read message on the BBS .
Tried other stations on 145.01 and 145.03 but no luck.
Checked distance of stations from this QTH on QRZ.
Most stations are from 38 to 60+ miles away.
My 50 watts and Diamond X-300 antenna can't make the trip!
Not sure if some of the other stations are still active.

Karen K3KAP:
Glad to hear you made some headway. Maybe we can try a connect on 145.01.
Let me know if you can and let's setup a time and date.
At least we can see if it's possible.

Catch you later es 73
Rich W3OFD